CB400F

CB400F

Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

A 17 year old with a passion for the CB400F




I have had a good response from my request for CB400F owners to contact me.  

Dom Templey, UK

I'm going to start with Dom.  Dom is a 17 year old with a passion for bikes it seems.  Read his own story of his restoration:

Hi, I am 17, just finishing my AS levels hoping to do an automotive engineering course at University after my A2s. My Grandad has 3 old bikes: 1949 Vincent Rapide, 1954 AJS 18S and a 1928 Scott 500 Flyer. I bought a few years ago a 1965 BSA Bantam D7 that I rebuilt and during that time I bought a 1980 Yamaha YB100, 1 owner low mileage machine that I sold for a profit. I then bought a 1978 Honda CB100N which I am currently riding on the road. In February, I swapped my Bantam for a 1977 Honda CB400/4 in Parakeet Yellow from a chap in Bournemouth. Most of it is in fantastic condition but in bits. The engine bottom end just needs clean up, and then new rings and usual work to the head is needed (lapping etc). No history is with the bike apart from the fact that the engine matches frame. At the moment it is looking like I may have to sell it as I don't have the funds although I do have quite a few spares for it that could be sold/swapped for bits that I need. I have attached a few photos that I have on this computer of the bike. Dom







Earlier, Dom had also emailed this to me:

My CB400F is a yellow '77 model, not '78 as stated on Facebook. The engine is currently in bits due to last owner sealing the crankcases incorrectly and filling it with sealant. He had also left the block off and let it fill with dust etc. The main running gear ie frame, wheels and suspension are in fantastic condition. The tank and side panels aren't the best paintwork wise but will do for now. It has a non standard exhaust manifold but no silencer. I have 3 sets of carbs, fork leg, fork yokes, various engine bits and quite a few other bits spare with it.  Dom.

Here's Dom's CB100N and CB400F
I love the fact that he says "....a few years ago I bought a 1965 BSA Bantam D& that I rebuilt..".  A "few years ago" Dom must have been a very wee lad.  A passion for something is very rare and when it's there I think you should nurture it.  Well done, Dom.  I am sure you will be very successful with your Automotive Engineering course - I reckon you'll know about as much as the tutor.

Maybe I should add a swap-it shop here - Dom has spare parts, Dom needs other parts - swap-shop!

Now under UK law Dom will be unable to ride this bike until he is 19 and takes his A2 test (Bike categories UK) so what will he do with it till then?  




No comments:

Post a Comment